The Parent Support Group had it’s first official meeting at the end of the 2016-2017 school year.
Maura Cullen Ali started this group and gave a powerful speech at the PTO General Meeting which was immediately before the Parent Support Group’s first meeting. One that warrants us all taking a minute to read and spread the message to other families and our children.
Helpful Tip of the Month from the Occupational and Physical Therapy Departments of District 64…
Reasons Why Self-Regulation Should be a Priority for All Students
– 16 od 21 of the curriculum based interventions programs
– 4 of the 8 Mindfulness and Yoga school based intervention programs lasting 6 months or less
– 4 of 6 exercise based programs including high intensity interval training and martial arts
– 4 of 6 social and personal skills program interventions
Additionally, positive outcomes of self-regulation interventions were noted in the following areas:
– 11 of 13 (85%) studies on academic achievement
– 4 of 5 (80%) studies on reduction of substance abuse
– 9 of 9 studies reporting on social skills, behavioral problems, and school suspensions
The research concluded that there are a wide range of programs to assist with improvement in self-regulation. Improvements were noted in all academic, behavioral, social domains.
Reference: Pandey A, Hale D, Das S, Goddings A, Blakemore S, Viner RM. Effectiveness of Universal Self-regulation–Based Interventions in Children and AdolescentsA Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatr. 2018;172(6):566–575. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2018.0232. Read the full text https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2677898